Thursday, June 19, 2008

Destiny is in the hands of the Malaysian People

Dear friends,

Days and weeks have gone by since the rise of fuel prices here in Malaysia. I’m now really feeling the pressure of the fuel hike as my salary will NOT be reviewed by my employer. As part of the working Sabahan community and a proud owner of the citizenship of Malaysia, I am grieving.

Talk in town is that MOST is against the fuel hike and how it has affected their livelihood. These people (who some are good friends of mine) have had to fork out more in regards to traveling expenses. These people mostly earn a mere RM900 per month, paying RM300 for their Kancil or even RM500 for Kelisa and the rest for bills, household, etc. You must be thinking, “Why buy a car in the first place when they cannot afford?” Well, the main cause would be the embarrassing state of our public transport and also their safety. Dear readers, please understand, some places in Kota Kinabalu, when you reach your destination or waiting for a bus, you either get mugged, harassed by certain characters (if you’re not a guy) and etc. Some buses even when you take a ride on them, it is equivalent to being on a passenger side of a F1 car during a race. That my dear friends are “Sabah Public Transport”. I would also like to point out though this might not happen everyday (except F1-driving buses) , when it does, would you like it to happen to you? Definitely no, hence it’s supposed to be safer driving your own car. But then again, the safety of your wallet will be in jeopardy.

How bout those who can afford? I have those type of friend also which agrees with the fuel hike. I understand that they think it’s wise as it is good for our Malaysian Economy. I also in part agree in this but why do the people need to be in poverty when the country is rich? Does maximizing our country’s gains means we need to eat sub-standard rice? (which also cost you) or we need to grow our own chili in our backyard just to have a taste if it? (if you can afford a backyard). It’s a condition chalked up by veteran politician in Sabah who recently released a statement of telling us Sabahans that we are plummeting towards “being poor people in a rich state”.

How about the RM625 that was handed out to cushion the fuel price hike? Honestly tell me dear reader, did it actually help you? I serviced my car and change tires the other day and, well, let’s just say i had to pay more than “RM625″ (some parts had to be changed as my job require me to travel a lot), hence now i’m thinking on how to fill up my fuel to go to work. Did I miss-manage my cash? How about you? What did you do with the RM625? You might say, “the government is trying to help”, but I as a regular Sabahan-Joe feel that it did not actually help. Well, it did in the present but how bout the long run?Do i need to wait everytime i renew my road tax to service my car when most of my cash goes to my fuel tank?

Although what i have typed does not reflect 100% views of Sabahans, those with income as low as mine will agree and believe me, there are ALOT of people in Sabah who are along the poverty line (earning below RM600 and are mostly rural folks) and this is the FACT as Sabah is among the top 2 poorest state in Malaysia.

I am sorry that i didn’t mention the struggles of my countrymen in the Semenanjung in terms of the recent fuel hike but I know the pain we endure here in Sabah is also your felt by you. Let’s put our heads together and do the right thing. I don’t have to say what that is but i know you understand.

Just my point of view.

No comments: